Saturday, April 12, 2008

아름다운 봄과 꽃들

(Beautiful Spring and Flowers)

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. -II Corinthians 6:8




Spring is blooming here in Korea. Cherry blossoms line the road, and the azaleas are slowly beginning to appear on the mountains. Seeing spring after a long winter is a welcome sight and something that our family has never experienced.

Yesterday, our family, the Sumralls, and all of the Global homeschooling staff were invited to lunch by some ladies (members of Global Mission) who wanted to do something special for the homeschooling leaders. After a walk in a park, we went to eat at a traditional Korean restaurant - the nicest restaurant I have been to in Korea. The beef was brought to us raw so we could cook it over hot charcoal grills in the middle of our tables. As per usual, there were about 20 different side dishes, most of which are very good but very different from anything you find in America.

We spent the afternoon with a couple other homeschooling families, riding bikes in the park. It was nice for the girls to ride a bike again; we've never done it in Korea before. The whole day was an enjoyable break from co-op preparation (and now I'm catching up).

With spring has come a site I've never seen before - at the park, on the side of the highway, in the middle of Suji, anywhere where the "weeds" are growing, people are out harvesting greens. I was quite surprised the first time I saw a tiny, old lady on a steep hill next to the road, pulling weeds for supper!
Of course, being a traditional Korean restaurant, we sat on the floor. The strange silver pipe in the middle of the table sucks up the smoke from the charcoal pit.
Someone had the genius idea that we should also cook our salmon sushi! The Koreans were probably laughing at such a waste of good sushi; we saw it as a way to make the expensive fish edible. Actually, we enjoyed grilling whatever we could get our hands on :)
Some of the kids
It's been a LONG time since I've seen Mom on a bike :)

Cute basket, Susie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I can't believe its been so long since I looked at your blog. I went out of town for long enough that I lost the history on my browser! I couldn't remember your website! I recently received an e-mail update form Bernie Beall that had your blog somewhere in there. I was so happy and I have spent the last couple of days catching up.It was great seeing all of my old students and your family doing the things that I did while I was there. It is so weird.
I can't believe it has been exactly one year since I was there. I have forgotten almost all the korean phrases I learned and can hardly read it anymore. There is not much use for it here in TX ya know.! Oh, by the way, since this is so long anyways...... I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days in south Florida. I was in Lighthouse Point. Is that anywhere near where you lived?
Gotta go,
PS Your blog had made me crave kimchi so bad. I have got to find a good Korean restaurant here. I've heard there are some!
I'll be praying for you all.,
Krissy P

Just Wedeminute said...

I added you and your family to my blog and we are going to encourage friends and family to pray and support your wonderful family!