Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Octopus, anyone?

Today, we were invited out to lunch with a Korean family who lives in the country. After being lost for two hours, we finally made it. The food was great, but there was one dish that I was definitely not going to eat - octopus! However, realizing that this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, I told Gabe I'd try it if he would try it. (Misery loves company, and it's much easier to get yourself into troublesome situations when you have siblings that will cooperate with your plans.) He agreed, and after we each grabbed a tentacle with our chopsticks, it took us several minutes to finally get the courage to chew. In all fairness, Gabe bravely went first, and when I saw he wasn't dying, I followed his example. To my surprise, it really did not taste bad. How would I describe it? Hmmm, maybe "rubbery chicken" would be a good representation. The hardest part was when I bit off one of the tentacles - it's not that the taste was horrible; instead, it was the rather squirmy thoughts "swimming" through my head! Hello, I'm your lunch!

Now, the only thing I have left to try here is dog...

2 comments:

A Fellow Traveler said...

I had fried squid once at a Greek wedding and really couldn't taste anything to horrid past the grease! I don't know if I could brave eating an octopus though; or dog for that matter! You guys are brave!

Asher, Esther & Emma's Jie Jie said...

ughhh.. you're much braver than I am!