Friday, February 1, 2008

Ice Skating

I am sorry that I have not been posting much lately. I am currently taking two online classes with UCF, preparing and teaching an elementary history class, studying Korean, managing meals/groceries for our house, swimming, and trying to help Mom with the kids' school (I'm sure Gabe and Susanna are thrilled that I am now in charge of "grading" their papers). So, though this keeps me quite busy, I don't think you care to see pictures of me studying!
Yesterday, everyone (except myself and Dad who was working at his Global office, where he goes three times a week) went on an ice skating expedition with a couple other families from our co-op. Thankfully, we didn't have to worrry about the expense since it was only 1000 won (about $1) per person, including all rentals. Later, they all went back to one of the family's apartment for a sweet potato pizza lunch.
Tonight, Susanna and I are excited to do our first Korean homestay. It is a little frightening, but we are looking foward to experiencing a real Korean home. We are just staying one night, and though we're familiar with what goes on, we've never attempted living with anyone. Hopefully, we'll be able to do this often and improve our language abilities.
Speaking of language abilities, two of the neighborhood children dropped by yesterday when I was home alone. And when I say "dropped" by, I really mean moved in. I just opened the door, and in they came. Though I explained that Evangeline and Julianna were gone and that I had homework to do, it seemed to have no effect on them. After chatting in Korean until I had nothing left to say, I explained that I had to do my work. That was not a problem to them, however, and they just hunkered down in the living room to play and draw. So, there I was typing away at the computer while two Korean girls were roaming my apartment. I was cooking a crockpot meal for our supper, and at one point I went into the kitchen to stir it. One of the little girls followed me and asked me if I was eating the whole pot! I quickly assured her it was for my entire family. Finally, about 1-1/2 hours after they walked in, the rest of the family came home, and they went off to the playground. It was a good way for me to work on my Korean, but it was funny how they felt right at home. Buckle up (your head)
Walls were a wonderful invention
Ian

Susanna said the helmets were quite helpful - they hang from your neck like a necklace, leaving the front of your head plenty of room to breath (since it restricts the breathing in your throat)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow did youi fall ?