Saturday, October 27, 2007

High school co-op

Every Thursday is our high school co-op. Dad teaches Worldview; I teach Logic (Leadership class); Dad, Mom, and I all have our own English classes; I teach Biology; and Dad and Mom teach Parent Training. We have twenty-one high school students. I enjoy teaching them all; they are eager to learn, fun to be with, and grateful that we are here. Dad's advanced English class has many English speakers that have lived overseas so we are able to talk with them almost like we do to people our age in the U.S.
We pray that the Lord is working in the hearts of all these students, raising up the future leaders of Korea. These students are venturing out into brand new territory as they struggle against the pressures of their culture and society (in the same way that homeschoolers in the U.S. were about twenty years ago). There is great potential in this group to impact the world.

Yon-pyo


Sok-jun and Yong-jun

Learning about genetic fallacies during Logic

A few of Dad's advanced English students (Gabe works with Dad)

My English class - I teach the middle level students (Susanna works with me)

Min-suk, Isaac, and Mike


One of the 4 different groups for Biology



During Biology class this week, we learned about the algae in Kindom Protista. Alginic acid is used to thicken all kinds of food, including ice cream and pudding, so I bought an ancient package of instant vanilla pudding at an import store. Since making ice cream in class was a little difficult to pull-off, I opted for Jello and pudding. It was quite popular!

Watching in amazement as the milk thickens....the supsense is terrible! :)

Today, before Family Sunday School (but on Saturday - go figure), Susanna and I took a quick (5 hour) trip into Seoul with one of our Korean teachers and her daughter. Clothing in Korea is expensive, but there are cheap "markets" in Seoul where you can buy off-brand clothing. It was good to be with a native Korean as you don't make nearly as many mistakes while riding the subway, walking through Seoul, etc. I was able to get a "Coach" wallet for very cheap which made my day :). Since I was this particular man's first customer of the day, he gave me a good deal. It is Korean tradition that the first customer will set the pace of business for the rest of the day so they don't want you to leave without buying something. I was happy to oblige him!

No comments: