Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pictures of our North Korean students

Tuesday morning, I was able to get onto the U.S. air force base in Osan and take my Sociology CLEP test. You cannot get on the base unless someone who lives on the base signs you on and then "babysits" you the entire time you are there. I am so thankful to the Lord for working out the details so I was able to be 3 credits closer to graduating from college.

Tuesday night was our weekly trip to the North Korean refugee center. Gabriel came along with us for the first time and brought his camera with him. I asked if we could take some pictures, and everyone was fine with it. The only requirement was that we black out the faces of the North Koreans so they will not be targeted. We had a smaller group this week since one group had transitioned out, and the center was still waiting for another group to come in. My two students could not have been past their mid-twenties, but they have all had a grueling life. Our English lesson was on feelings and one of my students said, "I feel sad." When I asked, "Why do you feel that way?" he said, "Because I am very lonely." I cannot imagine what it must be like to leave all of your family behind in a country like North Korea, knowing you may never see them again and not knowing what they are enduring in your absence.

1 comment:

A Fellow Traveler said...

Whoo Hoo! Congrats on passing Sociology!
You guys are having some incredible experiences in Korea. May God bless your efforts!